Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Define and manage steering, braking and electric/hybrid/conventional powertrain (motion control actuators) requirements subject to vehicle-truck dynamics, control and sensing constraints (dynamic response, capabilities) for the self driving system
- Drive architecture discussions focusing on motion control performance, fault tolerance and reliability
- Evaluate electrical, mechanical and software architecture of the motion control system and contribute to hardware or software design reviews
- Coordinate motion control actuators integration to the self-driving system from prototype development to fleet deployment
- Establish validation and verification methods for the motion control requirements and plan, execute, analyse and document results to verify and validate performance
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 3 or more years of experience designing or testing electromechanical systems, particularly automotive systems
- 5 or more years of engineering experience
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant engineering (including ME, EE, CS, Robotics, Controls, Aerospace, etc.) or equivalent practical experience
- SW development experience (including C/C++, Python, or MATLAB)
- Strong foundation in system engineering principles such as requirements definition, formal verification and validation methods, and simulation
It's preferred if you have:
- Experience with commercial vehicles including familiarity with vehicle-truck dynamics and steering, braking and propulsion systems of Class-8 vehicles with focus on powertrain systems
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.