Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
As its name suggests, our Engineering Operations team plays a vital role in the creation and development of Waymo's self-driving technology. Software Quality, Labeling and Mapping Operations are all part of this team: we review critical events, flag problematic cases, build sets of labeled data for machine learning, and make sure our high-definition maps are extraordinarily accurate.
In this Head of Engineering Operations role, you'll:
- Lead several Engineering Operations teams that enable the development of new software for self-driving cars
- Work closely with Waymo software engineers, product managers and eng leadership to build, execute and improve key operational processes and launch new initiatives
- Scale operations of the teams internationally, as Waymo and its business grows
- Develop talent and adapt organizational structure of your teams to changes and growth
- Represent the teams you manage in cross-functional discussions with various stakeholders and Waymo leadership
- … And lots of things that we probably don’t yet know about. It’s a startup after all!
At minimum we'd like you to have:
- BS in business, CS or related field with at least 5+ years of people management experience
- Experience leading operations and / or scaling significant business initiatives; great at prioritization, planning, independent problem-solving
- Strong ability to work with (and stay calm under pressure with) software engineers, including senior managers and engineering leadership.
- Excellent communication, relationship building and stakeholder management skills; comfort with change and making decisions given large degree of uncertainty
- Genuine excitement about self-driving technologies and their potential impact on many aspects of our daily lives
- Fine with travel requirements: Occasional (likely once in 1-2 quarters) international travel to visit operational offices
It's preferred if you have:
- Conversant with software development. The role does not require hands-on technical skills but does require in-depth discussions with engineers and product managers.
- Vendor management, outsourcing, international operations experience
- MBA and / or CS degree or independent coursework.
- Leading large geographically distributed teams, managing managers.
- Previous start-up experience
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.