Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this role, you'll:
- Work with software and hardware engineers and leads to understand the product, roadmap, and state of testing infrastructure. Enumerate and prioritize testing tasks, taking into account the needs of team members, leads, executives, partners, and customers.
- Collaborate with other engineering teams (hardware, architecture, and software) to align on common methodologies and processes to improve product robustness and engineering productivity.
- Develop and maintain tools and infrastructure software to support testing efforts and to improve the testability of the product and systems. Develop and maintain automation to reduce any manual testing efforts.
- Develop systems for measurement of testing program success and product reliability gains.
- Incrementally augment software-only testing with hardware-in-the-loop strategies. Design and implement testing, regression test beds and test infrastructure for Waymo hardware products. Design and implement plumbing needed to integrate new sensors. Build automation around the scenarios which can be integrated easily with the Google build and deployment process.
- Coordinate the testing program contributors and stakeholders across teams to align efforts, develop common processes, and facilitate progress.
- As a technical lead, mentor and guide junior testing engineer(s) and operations personnel in support of testing efforts. Understand the product development cycle and when the functionality/product is ready to move from testing to production.
At the minimum, we'd like you to have:
- 5+ Years for experience managing medium size software teams
- Experience developing and growing an early-stage testing program, including navigating ambiguity and rapid change. Experience hiring and mentoring software developers
- Proficiency with Linux, Git, and common build systems
- Strong communications skills working with engineers, and organizational and planning skills
It's preferred if you have:
- Experience architecting automotive diagnostics systems
- Autonomous driving sensing experience (radar, laser, compute, telematics, cameras)
- Experience managing multidisciplinary teams is a plus ( software, hardware, mechanical resources)
- Experience with regression testing (hardware and software)
- Ability to manage multiple work streams at the same time
- Software development experience testing hardware for manufacturing and R&D environments
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.