Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this role, you'll:
- Lead packaging technology development
- Interface and coordinate with cross-functional teams at Waymo on new SoC package selection, package architecture, feasibility analysis, and design
- Work with vendors and internal teams to develop advanced packaging technologies, define assembly baseline processes, decide package BOM, and establish package design rules that optimize for performance, reliability, yield, and cost for a variety of projects including SoC
- Work with foundry and OSAT vendors to bring packaging solutions from concept to high volume manufacturing
At the minimum, we'd like you to have:
- 5+ years experience in semiconductor packaging process, design and material development
- Expert in packaging assembly processes including SMT, die prep, die attach, flip chip, underfilling, wire bonding, molding, singulation, and back-end processes
- Expert in materials characterization and analysis, DOE, reliability standards, and FA techniques
- In depth knowledge on large FCBGA package, MCM package, 2.5D packaging and 3D packaging technology
- Excellent communication skills that can enable the candidate to work well with internal, cross functional teams and overseas suppliers
- Ability to work independently and take on projects with minimum supervision
- Excellent engineering problem solving skills with strong physics and fundamentals
- Familiar with package design software, APD, Virtuoso, etc.
- Strong program management skills
It's preferred if you have:
- Proficiency in packaging design software
- A good understanding of signal integrity and power integrity
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.