Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this role, you'll:
- Work with a team developing, inventing, and evaluating bleeding-edge lidar designs
- Investigate potential future technologies and architectures we are not currently using, model and prototype ideas in a scrappy way, and quickly evaluate whether they are worth pursuing
- Comfortably transition between physics modeling and simulation, and hands-on prototyping in the lab
- Build optical, mechanical, and electrical systems to test prototypes, and clearly analyze and present the results
- Work with external suppliers to evaluate new materials, tools, and processes
At the minimum, we'd like you to have:
- PhD in Physics, Applied Physics, EE, ME, or equivalent
- 3 years of experience in a lidar or a related advanced electro-optics field such as optical communications systems or optical quantum computing
- Demonstrated strong track record of innovative hardware systems design
- Great communication and presentation skills
It's preferred if you have:
- Proven hands-on experience at power-user level in computational physics simulation (e.g. Lumerical), and from-scratch analytical physics modeling (e.g. Matlab/Python/Mathematica) and a track record of working across multiple physics disciplines
- Experience with lidar
- Theoretical understanding of communication and information theory, coding and data recovery
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.