Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this role, you'll:
- Own engineering issue escalations beyond fleet technician teams, passing issues to others where necessary, after understanding the problem, communicating clearly and determining root cause where possible
- Generate and maintain diagnostic information, procedures, and know-how to enable technician teams to debug without engineering
- Drive the development of tools and infrastructure to improve problem diagnosability and fleet-scale service technician knowledge-distribution
- Lead proactive diagnostic design efforts across Waymo during hardware and embedded software design and implementation phases
- Partner with module development teams to understand and improve the field performance of each part of Waymo’s self-driving system
At the minimum, we'd like you to have:
- Bachelors or Masters of Science in EE, CE, CSE or a related field
- 4+ years experience supporting and troubleshooting deployed systems (hardware and software), ideally in fast-paced or tech environments
- Experience developing diagnostics and diagnostic knowledge-base systems for large/complex deployed fleets of systems
- Experience working across engineering and technician teams to solve technical problems
- Data visualization/data analysis for logged data (Python preferred)
- Ability to comprehend large C++ programming projects
It's preferred if you have:
- Excellent technical communication skills
- Proven leadership and experience in diagnostics design engineering for large/complex systems
- Experience developing/managing/deploying technician-facing informational tools, including writing code
- Handy with a multimeter/oscilloscope
- Has a very wide breadth of knowledge in the EE, CE, CS, ME realm, with the ability to learn a new topic quickly
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.