Analytical Lead, Engineering Operations
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo’s Engineering Operations team plays a vital role in the creation and development of our self-driving technology. Software Quality, Labeling and Mapping Operations are all part of this team: we review critical events, flag problematic cases, build sets of labeled data for machine learning, and make sure our high-definition maps are extraordinarily accurate as they grow with the business.
In this Analytics Lead role, you'll:
- Run analytics to best set Waymo Engineering operations up for success as the company scales. Example: Analyze the available data from operational teams, define baseline and target metrics for their performance. Based on the data insights, suggest ways to improve quality and productivity metrics
- Lead team forecast and planning. Example: Build a financial model with long-term headcount and cost projections and leverage it in actual vendor negotiations
- Find answers to complex business questions. Example: Determine an optimal specialization and incentives structure for hundreds of mapping operators that would help maximize output, ensure quality and allow sufficient flexibility
- Lead special projects to improve the operational efficiency of the team. Example: strategy lead for development of long-term plan for labeling operation
- Help define team strategy and priority areas working closely with the head of the team as well as cross-functional stakeholders in Operations, Finance, Engineering and Product
At minimum we'd like you to have:
- Excellent analytical skills, including proficiency with SQL and advanced Google Sheets/Excel skills
- Numerical-based degree (mathematics, engineering, economics, natural sciences etc), or equivalent experience in analytical roles
- Structured thinking - can easily break down complex ambiguous problems and propose alternative solutions
- Strong communication and presentation skills - can explain complicated topics and ideas in a clear and concise manner
- Strong relationship building skills and ability to work with very different teams, at the intersection of engineering and operations in a fast-moving startup environment
- Fast learner - able to quickly ramp up on new technical and business topics
It's preferred if you have:
- MBA and/or several years of experience in management consulting, financial services or analytics roles in tech companies.
- Experience with internal Google tools such as PLX dashboards and dasnavs preferred
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and sense of humour is always appreciated
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.