Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo’s onboard autonomous driving SW is already at the forefront of the industry, and we are tackling additional challenging conditions, such as changing weather conditions. The weather team is responsible for cross-functional development of the core technologies necessary to allow capable and safe autonomous driving in increasingly challenging weather conditions.
We are currently looking for a technical lead to help accelerate this effort - specifically with respect to the role of weather data in development and deployment.
- Help define the strategic vision for how to utilize sources of complex weather data at Waymo
- Develop weather modeling algorithms and fusion of weather data, onboard and offboard
- Analysis of weather data to derive relationships to autonomous driving and opportunities for improvement
- Guide options for selection of weather sensors and utilization of existing HW for weather estimation
- Develop strong collaborative relationships with strategic partners within Waymo to guide the utilization of weather data across the org
- Work with external partners, both within Alphabet and external to Alphabet, to bring in relevant data and develop state-of-the-art weather data relevant to Waymo use cases
- Strong background in numerical weather prediction
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills for solving complex, ambiguous problems
- Experience with weather sensors and associated phenomenology
- Familiarity with data analysis tools and methods
- Ability to design and communicate the design of new HW / SW systems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- M.S. plus 5-7 years experience in Meteorology, Atmospheric sciences, or related fields
- Experience working in or with Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, or Data Science
- Ability to work across multiple groups / locations
- Ph.D. plus 7-10 years experience
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.