Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
The Simulation Team enables Waymo to simulate and analyze millions of miles of driving every day. We can recreate, modify, and amplify our real-world experience -- or generate entirely new situations from scratch. Our work is central to the development workflow of the onboard self-driving software team, enabling onboard engineers to rapidly iterate and understand the subtle consequences of any change to the system. As powerful as this system is, however, there are still many open problems to solve and much work ahead of us.
As a Frontend Software Engineer in the Simulation team, you’ll work on the user-facing infrastructure that all of Waymo uses to model and visualize real-world driving. These web frontends are used by every part of Waymo, including SWEs, PMs, Data Scientists, and Research. These tools are a core part of solving almost every self-driving challenge Waymo faces
In this Frontend Software Engineering role, you'll own user-facing products essential to building the world’s most experienced driver, such as:
- Developing data visualizations that handle vast amounts of data at low latency
- Designing game-engine like tools for scripting simulated agents (e.g. pedestrians, vehicles, cyclists)
- Implementing workflows for developers to evaluate their self-driving car changes
- Collaborate across teams, with Onboard SWEs, Product Managers, Data Science, Operations, and UX
- Engineer solutions with an eye towards quality, performance, and stability
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- A BS or MS in Computer Science or a similar discipline. An equivalent amount of real-life experience is also welcome
- Experience with modern web frameworks (e.g. Angular, Polymer, TypeScript)
- Passionate about infrastructure work: building internal tools, frameworks, and libraries
- Comfortable moving quickly and working directly with customers for feedback
- Excited about working on self-driving cars!
It's preferred if you have:
- Experience building developer productivity tools with a high degree of product excellence
- Experience with three.js, or building 3D user interfaces using other frameworks
- Experience communicating and coordinating across teams
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.