Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
The ML Platform team at Waymo provides a set of tools and technologies to support and automate the lifecycle of the machine learning workflow, including feature and experiment management, and model development, debugging & evaluation, deployment, and monitoring. These efforts have resulted in making machine learning more accessible to teams at Waymo, including Perception, Behavior Prediction, Planner, Routing, Maps and Research, ensuring greater degrees of consistency and repeatability, and addressing the “last mile” of getting models into production and managing them once they are in place. We work hand in hand with machine learning experts in all parts of the company as well as our collaborators across Alphabet.
We are looking for engineers with strong ML compiler, runtime, accelerator, embedded systems or performance background to help us improve compute performance on our car and build the software stack for the next-gen accelerator. Non-exhaustive examples of the types of work you will work on:
- Collaborate with hardware architects, software engineers and ML practitioners to understand the hardware architecture/requirements as well as new research directions to bridge the gap between ML research and hardware
- Architect and develop the compiler for Waymo’s next-gen accelerator to power inference of deep nets and compute workloads on to this architecture with an emphasis on performance
- ML performance tuning through hardware/software co-play
- Build tools to analyze workloads and improve performance
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience programming in Python or C++.
- Elementary Tensorflow and Machine Learning knowledge
If you have any one of the skills below, please feel free to contact us!
- Passion for developing and optimizing compilers for modern architectures (MLIR etc.); Working knowledge of compiler architecture front-end and middle-end optimizations, scheduling, register allocation, and back-end code generation
- Performance analysis and optimization
- Embedded / real time / robotics systems
- Experience with implementing neural networks inference and compute workloads on dedicated SOC or GPU
- ML acceleration ( compression, quantization, pruning etc.)
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.