Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
As part of Waymo's Legal team, you will work on the exciting legal issues surrounding our transformational autonomous driving technology and help drive our business lines forward from technology ideation through scaled commercial deployment. We partner with our public policy, safety, security and privacy experts to define transportation policy for the autonomous driving world to come, advising on regulatory changes that support and protect our users around the world. We collaborate with our engineering, product, strategy and operations teams to develop and protect our intellectual property portfolio and drive our corporate and commercial transactions. We ensure compliance with an increasingly complex and dynamic range of global regulations. And we anticipate, mitigate, and litigate high-profile and precedent-setting legal matters.
In this role, you’ll:
- Review, draft and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements, such as hardware purchase and development agreements, inbound services agreements, supply chain agreements, joint development and collaboration agreements and other commercial transactional agreements.
- Respond promptly to legal requests from product, engineering, sourcing, business development, finance, marketing, and other clients, summarizing and communicating legal concepts in a clear and concise manner.
- Advise business and cross functional stakeholders on legal issues that may include product liability, regulatory issues, agreement structures and approval processes, company policies and procedures, IP, and negotiation strategy.
- Support the continuous improvement of Waymo and the legal department by identifying and implementing improvements in processes, forms and operations.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- JD degree and must be admitted to the bar in which position is located and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law (e.g., have registered in-house status) in the state in which the position is located.
- 7+ years of experience advising on intellectual property matters and commercial agreements.
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial agreements; licenses, supply agreements and services agreements.
- Experience in another specialist subject area of law (for example but not limited to employment, intellectual property, corporate, or competition).
- Direct knowledge and experience advising clients from hardware supply, R&D or fast-paced new technology companies.
- Excellent analytical, communication and organizational skills, and demonstrated ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure. Ability and interest in developing expertise in new, complex subject areas.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.