Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Fastener Subject Matter Expert role, you'll:
- Consult and communicate your knowledge of joining technologies for precision, robustness of part, assembly design in accordance with engineering, supply chain, manufacturing and quality assurance requirements
- Create Waymo fastener drawings for use by our Design Release Engineers, purchasing, and other stakeholders across Waymo
- Perform torque calculations and analysis (utilizing Cobra Torque Analysis software) for critical fasteners, and provide detailed feedback and suggestions to Design Release Engineers
- Conduct virtual validation analysis using first principles, hand calculations, CAD, and CAE. Setup and execution of Torque Analysis activities to validate torque requirements for critical joints
- Create and launch a searchable fasteners library within Catia/Enovia. Take ownership of the CAD fastener library. Be responsible for the implementation, upkeep and development of this library to support the Waymo Engineering team needs
- Set up requirements/best practices library to aid engineers in deciding on the correct fastener for a given joint
- Review engineering performance and report to engineering management on fundamental engineering issues and training recommendations
- Utilize Google productivity software such as Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides
At the minimum, we'd like you to have:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or relevant technical discipline
- 6 years experience in either automotive, aerospace, or hi-tech electro-mechanical design and development
- Experience with CATIA V5 (V6R2015x or higher is preferred, but not required)
- Basic knowledge of Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
It's preferred if you have:
- Masters or PhD qualification
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with ENOVIA
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.