Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo's supply chain and manufacturing teams are making the cars of the future a reality. We handle all production processes and supplier development strategies: from contracts and purchasing, to designs for improved manufacturing, through quality control and delivery. We collaborate actively with Waymo engineering teams as well as external suppliers and partners to make sure everything is built to spec and delivered on time to meet the rising demands of our business.
In this Manufacturing Development Engineer role, you'll:
- Drive OK2X (OK2Tool, OK2Build, OK2Ship) deliverables in new product introduction phases to ensure the readiness of the supplier’s manufacturing process and quality controls before each build:
- Conduct 3D/2D drawings review and close loop with product design/ENG team
- Review and approve DFM for CNC machining & assembly processes and fixture kick off
- Work with SQE to Develop/implement/monitor supplier Quality Control Plans for early detection of quality issues to ensure parts meet or exceed quality and reliability requirements
- Analyze data on FAI/CPK reports to assess supplier’s capability to meet design intent and be able to provide technical recommendation on yield improvements.
- Drive FACA analysis for major quality issues at suppliers
- Evaluate potential suppliers for their manufacturing and quality capabilities based on project needs. Conduct 3D model and 2D drawing reviews with suppliers to assess Design for Manufacturability, and collaborate with Design Engineering to release feasible component designs
- Identify supplier equipment, fixture and tooling needs and drive implementation schedules and efforts to qualify and optimize the manufacturing process
- Review progress of development activities at supplier locations and serve as point of escalation for technical issue and manufacturing processes that are not capable of meeting design intent.
- Work with Global Supply Managers to assess supplier readiness to support build events and production ramp. Identify potential execution issues and provide recommendations to mitigate risk
- Initiate, explore and track ongoing improvement of product quality issues at suppliers and experienced by customers. Work with SQE & supplier on yield performance and drive improvement actions for top hitters to bridge the gap to meet mass production goals
We'd like you to have:
- 8+ years’ experience in CNC Machining / Mechanical/ Manufacturing role in the consumer electronics or automotive/transportation manufacturing arena, supporting new product launches from a manufacturing, quality, or product development perspective
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical / Manufacturing Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- Hands-on Experience with a variety of component manufacturing processes such as CNC machining and assembly (Adhesive, Laser joining technology)
- Strong skills leading the 7D problem solving processes: problem definition, containment, occurrence/escape root cause analysis, corrective/preventive action planning and execution
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 80% of the time
It's preferred if you have:
- Experience with interpretation of design drawings/GD&T, schematics, and cosmetic standards for creation
- Ability to use common data analysis tools (JMP, Minitab and etc)
- Strong experience with manufacturing as well as supply chain techniques and processes such as supplier audits, new product introductions, product life cycles, manufacturing engineering, first article inspection, technical documentation, etc.
- Experience working with component manufacturers and suppliers on multiple continents
- PMP certification is a plus
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.