Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
The Waymo Policy and Government Affairs team has a front seat in this exciting moment in the evolution of autonomous driving technology, transportation and tech policy. Successful navigation of the policy landscape is critically important to deploying and scaling our business. Our team works directly with policymakers and third party groups at the national, state and local levels to help advance transportation policy, educate on the safety benefits of the technology, and advance consumer awareness and acceptance. Internally, our efforts support the innovative work of engineering, product, strategy, and partnerships teams, and we work closely with highly-skilled legal and safety experts.
In this role, you’ll:
- Engage directly with state policymakers, regulators, industry stakeholders, and key opinion leaders to shape policy and political dialogue throughout the United States
- Track current and emerging political activity at the state level while developing and executing policy strategy that benefits Waymo’s users and business and work closely with the City and Federal Policy teams.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with state elected officials, their staff, regulators, and other key external stakeholders
- Work closely with other teams at Waymo to ensure up to date knowledge of company plans and reporting policy political developments with analysis
- Develop and manage campaign style plans for our state policy initiatives
- Manage state consultant relationships and represent Waymo in state and industry trade associations
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 8+ years of experience of public policy experience within government, or relevant nonprofit, public interest groups, companies, or industry associations; ideally at least 2+ years working specifically on technology or transportation policy issues
- Skilled and experienced at persuasively and diplomatically advocating complex policy positions before a wide variety of audiences
- Deep knowledge of State legislative dynamics and decision makers and an expansive political network
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, and exceptional verbal and written communication skills
It’s preferred if you have:
- Political networks and legislative experience in the West, Southwest, and Midwest.
- Knowledge of the policy environment surrounding self-driving passenger and commercial vehicles
- Knowledge of future of work, labor, and workforce development policy issues
- Knowledge of privacy, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, and other public policy issues related to data-driven industries
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.