Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
Our communications team develops strategies that increase understanding, acceptance, and adoption of our life-saving self-driving technology. We work with reporters, editors, bloggers, and other influencers to share stories about Waymo and the potential of our technology to change how we move and live. In this role, you’ll partner with the engineering, business, policy, marketing, and product teams to create messaging around our mission of safety, our collaborative work with public officials and third party groups, and our OEM partnerships to drive awareness about self-driving, shape our reputation, and counter misinformation. The ideal candidate brings experience and passion relating to emergent political issues in the tech and mobility industries.
In this communications role you'll:
- Source, develop, and draft a wide range of communications materials - including blog posts, narratives, scripts, and PR pitches - about our mission of safety, our collaborative work with public officials and third party groups, and our OEM partnerships
- Secure and shape thought leadership opportunities for our executives
- Have a successful record of managing strong press relationships, and a demonstrated ability to work with reporters to pitch and amplify stories
- Simplify complex, technical concepts and make them human, relatable, and visual
- Be an effective team collaborator who can manage multiple projects across a variety of stakeholders
- Drive consensus decisions on creative output among diverse stakeholders
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 8-10 years of work experience in communications, ideally in tech and/or mobility
- Intellectual curiosity and ability to quickly learn
- Creative approach with a scrappy, can-do attitude
- Operational rigor and self-discipline
- Comfort working at the pace of a startup and with ambiguity; ability to lead complex projects, contribute to cross-functional initiatives, and be a trusted partner to our engineering, business, partnerships, marketing and product teams
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.