Senior Technical Writer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, designers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this role you’ll:
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to identify key content requirements
- Write, publish, and maintain high-quality internal documentation for engineering audiences, including concept docs, how-to guides, integration docs, codelabs, and API reference documentation
- Design information architecture for complex documentation sets
- Organize existing documents, identify documentation needs, and spearhead efforts to fill in gaps
- Manage multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- 7-10 years in a technical writing role or equivalent experience in a technical domain
- A bachelor's degree in technical writing, information systems, computer science, engineering, communications, or related field
- The ability to learn and document complex software architecture
- Ability to read and understand source code written in C++ and Python
- Experience working in collaboration with software engineers on a daily basis
- Excellent writing skills, as demonstrated in samples of past work for engineers
It’s preferred if you have:
- A master’s degree in technical writing or related field
- Some programming education or experience
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills; ability to build strong relationships with cross functional partners and stakeholders
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.