Head of Strategy & Analytics, Engineering Operations
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
The Engineering Operations team plays a vital role in the creation and development of our self-driving technology. Software Quality, Labeling and Mapping Operations are all part of this team: we review critical events, flag problematic cases, build sets of labeled data for machine learning, and make sure our high-definition maps are extraordinarily accurate as they grow with the business.
In this Head of Strategy & Analytics, Engineering Operations role, you'll:
- Coach and develop the individuals in Eng Ops’ strategy and analytics team to improve their technical and soft skills
- Cultivate a strong culture in the team and hire talented individuals to fill gaps and bolster output
- Guide the Eng Ops organization’s success through development of key metrics, including productivity and quality measures
- Ensure the Eng Ops organization has accurate and actionable forecasts, presenting these to C-level executives on a regular basis
- Provide strong and scaled analytical support for each of the sub-organizations in Eng Ops through the development of dashboards, plus appropriate support for ad hoc requests
- Mature and operationalize foundational processes to support planning, forecasting, and strategic progress
- Build strong cross-functional relationships across Waymo, and work with them and the head of the Eng Ops to define team strategy and priority areas
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- Excellent analytical skills, with demonstrated ability to dive deep technically, serve as a thought leader, and mentor/develop junior team members
- Structured thinking to easily break down complex ambiguous problems and propose alternative solutions
- Strong strategy development skills, with the ability to take complex, ambiguous subjects, craft a plan to evaluate challenges & opportunities, develop sound and robust proposals, and guide organizations to execute against them
- Excellent communication and presentation skills - can explain complicated topics and ideas in a clear and concise manner
- Strong relationship building skills and ability to work with very different teams, at the intersection of engineering and operations in a fast-moving startup environment
It’s preferred if you have:
- MBA and/or several years of experience in management consulting, financial services or analytics roles in tech companies.
- A technical expert in SQL database querying
- Experience with building statistical models, preferably in Python
- Experience with internal Google tools such as PLX dashboards and dasnavs preferred
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and sense of humour is essential
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.