At Waymo, we’re focused on bringing self-driving technology to the world. Our mission is to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Today, our driverless cars are serving our first customers with no drivers behind the wheel. To experience our self-driving technology, see this 360-degree video.
The Weather team at Waymo is responsible for connecting the impacts of weather to the autonomous technologies, vehicle fleet and operations.In this data science role, you will work closely with Engineering, Data Science, and a variety of other teams across the company on getting the Waymo Driver ready for all types of weather conditions. This entails evaluating the driving and safety performance of Waymo's self driving car in challenging weather conditions as well as helping to improve its capabilities. This will be based on a wide variety of data from real and simulated driving from Waymo’s self-driving system, weather sensors on the cars, and from external data sources.
Typical role responsibilities include:
- Analysis, utilization, and improvement of existing data sources and metrics, with a focus on weather data
- Development of novel approaches for measuring, estimating and predicting weather conditions
- Write statistical analysis and modeling code
- Collaborate with engineers and other data scientists on evaluating and improving core Waymo technologies, with a focus on bringing statistical depth, general analytical rigor, and accurate causal interpretation of data.
We'd like you to have:
- PhD in statistics, math, or other quantitative area
- Statistics or data science experience either in academia or industry
- Willingness to understand a complex system and its various components
- Experience with tools for manipulating big data
- Experience with R/Python and statistical libraries
- At least 3 years of experience in the data science field as an independent contributor and innovator
For this role it's preferred if you have experience in:
- Experience in weather data and forecasting, meteorology
- Experience with C++
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.