Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo's Supply Chain and Manufacturing teams are making the technology of the future a reality. We handle all production processes and supplier development strategies: from contracts and purchasing, to designs for improved manufacturing, through quality control and delivery. We collaborate actively with Waymo engineering teams as well as external suppliers and partners to make sure everything is built to spec and delivered on time to meet the rising demands of our business.
In this vehicle quality engineering role, you'll:
- Develop the vehicle Control Plan for incoming, in-process, and outgoing quality controls, to assure the finished vehicle meets all technical specifications
- Provide on-site support of Contract Manufacturers to manage vehicle line bring-up including troubleshooting of vehicle systems, end-of-line testing and sensor calibration
- Work with the vehicle Contract Manufacturer on site at their factory, providing oversight of the Contract Manufacturer’s execution of agreed processes, assuring that manufacturing and inspection processes are performed correctly using the proper tools, materials and methods
- Meticulously document problems and work cross-functionally to contain, root cause, and implement corrective actions. Assessment and approval of proper vehicle repairs and reworks to meet technical requirements
- Sign-off of completed vehicles prior to shipment from the Contract Manufacturer’s facility
- Investigate, correct and monitor ongoing improvement of product quality issues experienced by customers. Must enable collaborative, timely, data-driven decision making to tackle product quality related issues
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 6+ years experience in a Manufacturing/Engineering/Operations Quality role in the automotive/transportation OEM or Tier supplier manufacturing arena
- Bachelor's Engineering degree or equivalent work experience; hands-on experience in automotive manufacturing can compensate for not having an engineering degree
- Ability to work independently, identifying and addressing problems with appropriate priority
- Experience with a variety of light assembly and manufacturing processes
- Understands typical automotive manufacturing, manual assembly, test and inspection methodologies
- Strong skills leading the 7D problem solving processes : problem definition, containment, occurrence/escape root cause analysis, corrective/preventive action planning and execution
- Demonstrates excellent problem solving & communication skills while working alone and in large teams; interfacing with assembly operators, inspectors, production supervisors, engineers, and technical managers
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience with interpretation of design drawings/GD&T, schematics, and cosmetic standards for creation and execution of inspection criteria
- Demonstrated hands-on mechanical, manufacturing process and vehicle electrical troubleshooting experience
- Strong experience with manufacturing as well as supply chain techniques and processes such as supplier audits, new product introductions, product life cycles, manufacturing engineering, first article inspection, technical documentation, etc
- Excellent understanding of factory-related and customer-related product quality/reliability metrics
- Experienced in collaborating and working cross-functionally with Operations, Manufacturing, Design Engineering, and Supply Chain/Purchasing teams
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.