Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
Machine learning is at the core of solving self-driving technology, and data is the rocket fuel of machine learning. The ML Insights team, part of the Waymo ML Infra team, focuses on empowering ML practitioners at Waymo to understand, debug and take actions on data and model efficiently, where leveraging the massive amount of data is critical to training and evaluating state-of-the-art machine learning system for driving. We work hand in hand with machine learning experts in all parts of the company.
Some example projects tackled by the team include:
- Building state-of-art data analysis tools to help ML practitioners debug and improve neural models.
- Visualizing the massive amount of unlabeled and labeled data to unlock new insights into Waymo’s datasets.
- Designing and managing data pipelines to ingest the large scale of ML data at various stages
- Building 3d visualizations of sensor data using WebGL.
We are looking for a strong Frontend Software Engineer / Tech Lead who is passionate about enabling and accelerating data-driven machine learning at Waymo. In this role, you will:
- Work with a group of full stack / frontend engineers and take a leading role in designing, architecting, developing and innovating our ML data understanding web applications
- Work closely with our ML practitioners to understand their needs and address the pain points
- Work closely with our engineering partner teams, Product and UX to align and plan technical and product roadmap
- Balance and prioritize various technical focuses, e.g. feature requests, critical milestones, product excellence, build health
- Grow your leadership, domain knowledge in autonomous driving and ML workflow and get exposure to the cutting-edge technologies
- Be part of an exciting ride to the future, and bring the self-driving technology to the world together
No experience in robotics or autonomous vehicles is necessary! Similarly, experience in machine learning, data science, WebGL are a bonus but not required.
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- A BS or MS in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years of experience with data visualization, analytics or frontend development.
- Experience building and architecting production quality web applications.
- Experience with modern web stack (e.g. Angular, Polymer, TypeScript).
It's preferred if you have:
- Strong technical leadership, including experience leading complex cross-functional projects.
- Experience in ML data analysis.
- Experience with handling large scale of data in Frontend and/or browser side performance optimizations using e.g. indexed db, webworker.
- Experience with C++.
- Experience with three.js, or building 3D user interfaces using other WebGL frameworks.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.