Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
Our cars may be self-driving, but Waymo’s real estate strategy is steered by experts like you. As Head of Global Real Estate you will manage the team executing project delivery (lease transactions and construction), influencing the future of Waymo’s real estate portfolio. You will be responsible for acquisition and disposition of all industrial operations, R&D lab and workplace facilities, performing transaction management functions and leading project managers in an extremely fast paced environment with a high degree of ambiguity. This role reports to the Director of REWS and is located in Mountain View, CA.
In this Real Estate role, you'll:
- Be responsible for site acquisition, due diligence, negotiations of transaction documents, permitting and build out of a variety of locations across workplace, lab, industrial and manufacturing typologies
- Build a high performing team, focused on managing a high volume deal flow of large, complex leases transactions and tenant improvements. Develop team agility to operate on both strategic and tactical levels to support continued portfolio expansion
- Build trusted relationships across the business and act as liaison to ensure alignment between investments and the portfolio strategies. Effectively communicate expectations, requirements and status of deals to key business stakeholders, building a culture of speed, flexibility and frugality for solutioning
- Closely collaborate with REWS operations and capacity planning teams as well as Waymo legal, finance, treasury, regulatory and lease administration teams in order to deliver highly successful projects
- Innovate and execute processes and tools to ensure the complete cycle from site search through deal execution to the first day of business is completed consistently and predictably, managing ever-changing variety of internal initiatives and projects. Create, innovate and implement relevant systems of metrics to plan, manage and measure performance pertaining to the transactions and project delivery process
- Travel, as permitted by company policies, approximately 15% of the time as required to source and deliver projects
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 10+ years of real estate transactions deal management of industrial operations, R&D lab and commercial office of at least 100,000 square feet
- Advanced lease transactions acumen as well as financial analysis, budget management and portfolio forecasting expertise
- Experience developing and implementing process improvements to streamline the full transactions delivery system
- Exceptional portfolio strategy skills, including the ability to gather relevant financial data and market information, as well as communicate recommendations effectively to various stakeholders
- People Management (managed a team of at least 3 FTEs). Experience leading global, large scale real estate transactions and construction projects, orchestrating teams of brokers, contractors, consultants and attorneys through deal flows at values of $20M each and greater
- Familiarity with FASB accounting standards and lease administration best practices
It’s preferred if you have:
- A track record of proven objective analysis, having delivering projects in an atmosphere where speed, flexibility and frugality are the norm
- Business relationship management expertise
- Project management experience of design and construction
- Degree in real estate, business administration or finance
- Automotive and/or rideshare sector interest, if not experience
- Drive to work in a startup environment, ideally in tech industry
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.