Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
The transportation & ride-hailing infrastructure team builds the backend software and software on the car to operate Waymo's fully self-driving vehicles as a commercial service. Our systems allow our vehicles to deliver people and goods safely and efficiently to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like scalability, capacity planning, reliable communications, and vehicle routing, while collaborating with software engineers and product managers both on and off the car. If you’re a software engineer who’s curious and passionate about bringing Level 4 autonomous driving the public, we'd like to meet you.
In this role you'll:
- Work with experts in the field of autonomous vehicles
- Implement and scale the back-end infrastructure for Waymo's ride-hailing services. This collection of systems manages trip requests and commits rides to vehicles; provides APIs to client apps and other services; calculates pickup and ride times; implements Waymo's routing algorithms.
- Develop expertise in and make use of various Google technologies, like Borg, Spanner, Map Reduce, and custom-built systems for our specific problems
- Design and implement software for autonomous vehicles to handle passenger interactions, communications with hailing and routing services, and distributed protocols for reliable operation of our vehicles in a commercial service
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- 2+ years of industry experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- MS in Computer Science, or equivalent practical experience
- 2-5 years of experience in data structures and algorithms
- 2-5 years of experience programming in C++ and/or with writing robust, efficient code
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.