Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
Operations keeps Waymo’s business rolling. We bring the expertise to enable the vehicle operators, service technicians and customer support specialists who test and maintain our self-driving vehicles and bring help and guidance to our passengers and customers. The Operations team is the heart of Waymo’s testing operations and ride hailing service, handling every detail to make sure that each ride is the ultimate user experience.
Technical Fleet Operations is a dynamic team tasked with maintaining Waymo’s self driving fleet. Our role is critical in ensuring fleet uptime and safety. This is achieved by installing, repairing, and troubleshooting custom built computers, high-tech self driving sensors and modules. Our team works closely with engineers and other teams to ensure the proprietary technology can progress rapidly. Excellent communication and teamwork are fundamental aspects of our company.
In this role, you’ll:
- Master proprietary cutting-edge technologies, both independently and while collaborating with engineers and team.
- Service and troubleshoot self-driving systems, components, and integrated sensor stacks using internal proprietary tools.
- Diagnose OEM base vehicle systems and components using manufacturer-provided software and tools, specializing in CAN, LIN, and FlexRay.
- Demonstrate leadership alongside managers by providing exemplary hands-on skills, technical writing, and verbal communication practices.
- Complete tasks outside of established processes when necessary and propose creative solutions to unforeseen roadblocks.
- Provide remote field support, up to 25% of the time.
- Operate Waymo self-driving vehicles as needed for the role.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- A B.A., B.S. and/or an automotive technology degree.
- 4+ years experience as a shop lead/master tech.
- 4+ years experience in an automotive research/development environment.
- 2+ years experience working with ADAS systems and/or other self-driving systems.
- Strong diagnostic troubleshooting experience with OEM systems: high-level experience working with HV systems and hybrid drivetrains, CAN, Flexray, LIN, HVAC, cooling, chassis, and suspension.
- Ability to adhere to a schedule of operating times for the assigned shift including, but not limited to, working on holidays, weekends, nights, and overtime as needed.
- Must be willing and able to travel on short notice to support fleet needs - could be up to 25% of the time.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of this role, which are listed below.
- Experience working in a matrix organization, thrives working in a rapidly changing and evolving environment, independently and with cross functional teams.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Master Technician certification, ASE certification and/or manufacturer certification.
- Knowledgeable regarding optimization of fleet maintenance and OEM maintenance items.
- Ability to operate comfortably within and troubleshoot Linux based systems.
- Diagnostic experience with embedded modules, self-driving systems and sensor stacks.
- Lean Six Sigma certification.
- Ability to qualify to operate Waymo self-driving vehicles on public roads, which is a safety-sensitive function that requires a valid drivers’ license in good standing, a driving record that meets regulatory and internal standards for safety, and passing drug and alcohol testing.
Essential Job Function Physical Requirements (Physical Task - Frequency):
- Lift up to 50 lbs from 30 min to 5 hrs per day - Occasionally/Frequently (40%)
- Carry up to 50 lbs from 30 min to 5 hrs per day - Occasionally/Frequently (40%)
- Push up to 50 lbs - Occasionally (25%)
- Pull up to 50 lbs - Infrequently (5%)
- Stand (at a time and total in shift) - Constantly/Frequently (70%)
- Walk (at a time and total in shift) - Constantly/Frequently (70%)
- Climb ladder - Occasionally (30%)
- Crouch or Kneel - Occasionally/Frequently (30%)
- Crawl - Infrequent (5%)
- Stoop - Occasionally/Frequently (20%)
- Reach overhead - Occasionally (30%)
- Reach below waist level - Frequently (50%)
- Reach at desk/waist level - Frequently (50%)
- Use lower extremities to operate foot controls - Frequently (50%)
- Simple grasp - Constantly (75%)
- Firm grasp - Frequently (50%)
- Fine manipulation - Frequently (50%)
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.