Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Now we’re turning our attention to things as well. Over the past year, we’ve been conducting road tests of Waymo’s self-driving trucks in California, Arizona, and Georgia. Our software is learning to drive big rigs in much the same way a human driver would after years of driving passenger cars. The principles are the same, but things like braking, turning, and blind spots are different with a fully-loaded truck and trailer.
In this role, you'll be working with a small but rapidly growing team, benefitting from shared technology of the greater Waymo and Alphabet organizations. Our team is made up of robotics specialists from some of the leading technology companies of our time - with deep expertise in artificial intelligence, machine learning, and real-world deployment of advanced technology.
- Design and implement software configuration management features to ease the deployment of software on many different HW configurations.
- Scale our SW systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation as we expand our fleet of vehicles and use cases.
- Engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of deployments from inception and design, through deployment, operation, and refinement.
- Create professional technical documentations and present for internal and external use.
- Keep our fleet of trucks up and running despite hurricanes, outages, and configuration errors.
- BS degree in Computer Science or similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with Unix/Linux operating systems internals and with networking
- Experience programming in C, C++, Java, Python, Go, or similar language.
- Experience designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience with robotics systems and their deployment in production environments
- Experience writing robust, safety-critical, efficient code
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.