Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are building the brains of Waymo’s self driving vehicles. Our software allows our vehicles to perceive the world around them, predict how it is likely to evolve and make the right decision for every situation. On Planner Infrastructure, we take our existing, state of the art algorithms and technology and build them up to scale to more miles (and more interesting problems!) in our driving.
We are looking for a Tech Lead Manager who is curious and passionate about Level 4 autonomous driving that can help our Planning system scale.
In this leadership role, you'll:
- Lead a team of infrastructure software engineers to scale up our motion planning and decision-making systems for the self-driving vehicles, ensuring that the behavior of our vehicles is safe, smooth, and predictable to other road users
- Attract, grow, and retain a diversity of talent, providing technical direction and career growth opportunities
- Inspire and motivate the team to work together as a cohesive and productive unit
- Guide all technical aspects of development, including technical requirements definition, design, implementation, unit testing, and integration
- Work closely with engineering partners and stakeholders to drive organizational alignment
At a minimum we would like you to have:
- Must have a BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Robotics or similar technical field of study
- Managed a team and set technical direction in the past
- Experience managing projects spanning across multiple teams
- Experience in C++
- Strong written and verbal communications
- History and passion for creating inclusive and respectful work environments
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience in the Self Driving Car industry
- 2+ years of experience as an engineering manager
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.