Mountain View, California, United States
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Every year around the world:
- 1.3M people die in vehicle accidents
- 50M are injured
- Billions of hours are spent behind the wheel
At Waymo, our mission is to make it safe and easy for people and things to get to where they’re going. This is an opportunity to join us in that mission to make the world a better place.
Autonomous vehicles are going to transform transportation. On this team, we work on the high-level motion planning and behaviors of Waymo’s fully autonomous vehicles. We play a critical role in:
- Controlling the behavior of the autonomous vehicle in all driving scenarios, including lane changes, intersections, pulling over, and many others
- Keeping vulnerable road users such as pedestrians and cyclists safe
- Reasoning about uncertainty, taking into account what we can see and (even more importantly) what we can’t see
- Modeling interactive situations, considering how other road users might react to how we drive
- Understanding, defining, and delivering desired driving behavior
We use uncertain inputs about the driving environment from multiple sources such as perception, behavior prediction, and rules of the road to construct a well-formulated planning problem. We work closely with the product team and other engineering teams such as perception, motion planning, and machine learning to deliver safe driving that delights users. We are continuously striving to make autonomous vehicles safe, comfortable, and predictable.
We are a fast-growing team at the forefront of solving some of the most critical, challenging, and high-impact problems in autonomous driving. The highly interconnected nature of our work will provide you opportunities to learn about large parts of the autonomous vehicle (AV) tech stack. You will be helping us to solve problems at the state of the art of AV technology which very few people have previously considered. Progress that you make in solving these problems will have high visibility across the company.
Along with technical strengths, we value team members who embrace uncertainty, take ownership and accountability for results, show initiative, collaborate effectively across team boundaries, welcome diverse perspectives, and do what’s right for our users.
If you are ready to move forward, please apply below.
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering or similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis
- Ability to be successful in C++ based on programming experience in object-oriented and strongly typed programming languages
- Ability to write clean, efficient code and maintain the overall health of the code base
- MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- One or more of the following:
- Experience with Robotics deployed in real world environments or research/academic experience in Robotics or experience in related fields such as gaming or simulation with realistic motion and agents
- Experience with Machine Learning, data analysis, and metric-driven development in fields including (but not limited to): search/ads quality, translation, speech, conversational systems or experience with ranking and optimization techniques in general
- Experience solving software problems using geometry and linear algebra or graduate level work in mathematics or physics
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.