Software Engineer, Behavior Prediction, Deep Learning
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo's fully autonomous driving technology. Our software allows the Waymo Driver to perceive the world around it, making the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers. If you’re a software engineer or researcher who’s curious and passionate about autonomous driving, we'd like to meet you.
In this role, you will:
- Find new ways to apply deep learning to predict the future behavior of other road users
- Creatively and collaboratively build new deep learning models that can predict the future behavior of other road users in real-time
- Develop efficient Deep Learning architectures that can run in real-time
- Grow a fundamental understanding of the next prediction challenges by analyzing real-world logs collected on our state-of-the-art fleet
- PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Robotics, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in data science including data collection, analysis, hypothesis formulation and verification
- Experience in applied Machine Learning including feature engineering, model deployment, A/B testing
- Experience in Deep Learning research and tools such as TensorFlow or Pytorch
- Software design and development experience in Python and C++
- Experience in applying ML for control or planning problems (e.g. Imitation Learning, Behavior Prediction, Reinforcement Learning)
- Experience with deploying Deep Learning models for real-time applications, or other resource constrained setting
- Experience with a wide variety of Deep Learning Models (e.g. LSTM, RNN, CNN, VAE, GAN, etc.)
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated due to a disability, medical condition or religious belief, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with federal, state, and local law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.