Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo's Compute Team is tasked with a critical and exciting mission: We deliver the compute platform responsible for running the fully autonomous vehicle’s software stack. To achieve our mission, we architect and create high-performance custom silicon; we develop system-level compute architectures that push the boundaries of performance, power, and latency; and we collaborate closely with many other teammates to ensure we design and optimize hardware and software for maximum performance. We are a multidisciplinary team seeking curious and talented teammates to work on one of the world’s highest performance automotive compute platforms.
In this hands-on lead role, you'll:
- Drive silicon architecture from concept through bring-up
- Drive hardware/software co-design to ensure optimal performance and quality
- Write architecture specifications for use by hardware and software developers
- Develop performance models to ensure efficient design
- Evaluate 3rd party IP for key metrics and automotive quality
- Identify opportunities for future innovation in our self-driving cars
At the minimum, we'd like you to have:
- MS or PhD in computer science or engineering or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years of architecture and design leadership experience on large silicon projects
- Experience with advanced compute systems, including CPUs, GPUs, memory systems, coherence, accelerators, and interconnects
- C++ programming expertise for performance modeling and evaluation
It's preferred if you have:
- Experience with machine learning architectures and deep net performance characteristics
- Experience benchmarking and characterizing complex workloads on CPU and GPU
- Expertise partitioning workloads across programmable and custom accelerators
- Architecting memory systems for accelerators that push latency and bandwidth limits
- Experience with SystemVerilog and emulation
- Familiarity with automotive functional safety and ISO26262
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.