Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Define and manage steering, braking and electric/hybrid/conventional powertrain (motion control actuators) requirements subject to vehicle dynamics, control and sensing constraints (dynamic response, capabilities) for the self driving system
- Drive architecture discussions focusing on motion control performance, fault tolerance and reliability
- Oversee implementation of requirements and desired architecture with teams across Waymo and teams at partner companies
- Evaluate electrical, mechanical and software architecture of the motion control system and contribute to hardware or software design reviews
- Coordinate motion control actuators integration to the self-driving system from prototype development to fleet deployment
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 3 or more years of experience designing or testing electromechanical systems, ideally in automotive
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant Engineering or a related field (including ME, EE, CS, Robotics, Controls, Aerospace, etc.) or equivalent practical experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience with vehicle dynamics and steering, braking and propulsion systems in passenger vehicles
- Experience working with suppliers or customers to develop electro-mechanical systems such as braking or powertrain control hardware and software
- Strong foundation in system engineering principles such as requirements definition, formal verification and validation methods, and simulation
- Ability to read, modify and write SW (including C/C++, Python, or MATLAB);
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.