Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
The Waymo Safety team works to promote and help to continuously improve the safety of Waymo’s fully autonomous driving technology. Our experts develop safety goals and strategies, and conduct safety engineering analyses to ensure safety is being considered throughout the design and development of our vehicles. The team develops and promotes safety strategies and policies for autonomous vehicles for its work with regulatory authorities, lawmakers, law enforcement and public and non-profit organizations. Our Safety Team also helps advise on compliance with applicable environmental, health, and safety regulations.
In this role, you'll:
- Create training materials to instruct first responders how to interact with Waymo AVs.
- Conduct in-person training with first responders on working with AVs
- Work with government and industry stakeholders to align on common practices and procedures for first responder interactions with AVs
- Review events from Waymo vehicles that are relevant to first responder interactions
- Advise internally on AV interactions with first responders, law enforcement, and on roadway safety
- Foster existing and build relationships with law enforcement and fire departments in Waymo’s areas of operation
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 10+ years experience as a first responder
- 5+ years experience teaching / training others
- Technical aptitude (ability to understand AV technology)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to travel at least once per month
It’s preferred if you have:
- 10+ years of law enforcement experience
- Technical education experience (e.g. BS/BA in technical field)
- Familiarity with legal principles
- Networking experience within first responder communities
- Accident investigation / reconstruction experience
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.