Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Develop test programs to ensure functional, performance, and safety requirements of our self-driving system are met
- Work closely with our scenario and simulation teams to design and implement robust, high-precision, repeatable tests in simulation.
- Systematically create scenario-based test plans that capture the range of situations and salient variables influencing the car’s behavior
- Support Waymo’s ongoing software development and release process by analyzing, interpreting and reporting on test results and field data.
- Create and maintain dashboards that allow others to understand test performance. Prepare well-written and informative test reports to drive software prioritization and highlight areas of strength and weakness
- Support the issue triage process by spotting trends and patterns and developing insights into how the car drives, and how different subsystems are performing.
- Help develop new testing methodologies that improve Waymo’s ability to derive more signal from fewer driven miles. Maintain focus on automation and scalability.
- Help Waymo’s software program test more rigorously through leading by example, and communicating where better testing can help the team move faster and more confidently.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Strong demonstrated experience defining verification and validation test programs, including hands-on experience and understanding the nuances of self-driving requirements, algorithms and operating environments
- Solid physics and software engineering fundamentals
- BS degree in a technical field, such as Mechanical/Electrical/Aerospace/Computer Engineering, Computer/Data Science, Robotics, Math, Physics, or similar related field
- Strong organization, communication, and documentation skills
It’s preferred if you have:
- Data analysis skills (e.g. using Python or MATLAB) including using large datasets. Ability to write C++ code when needed.
- Prior experience as a Test/Validation/Application Engineer or System Engineer for ADAS or Autonomous Driving technology
- Formal systems engineering experience. Have a deep understanding of the benefits of systems engineering principles with the rigor appropriate for safety-critical systems, without the overhead present in some organizations.
- Experience developing and executing test plans for non-deterministic systems
- Expertise in one or more areas of the Autonomous Driving software stack such as Perception, Behavior Prediction, Planning, Motion Control or similar
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.