Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
The Waymo Safety team works to promote and help to continuously improve the safety of Waymo’s fully autonomous driving technology. Our experts develop safety goals and strategies, and conduct safety engineering analyses to ensure safety is being considered throughout the design and development of our vehicles. The team develops and promotes safety strategies and policies for autonomous vehicles for its work with regulatory authorities, lawmakers, law enforcement and public and non-profit organizations. Our Safety Team also helps advise on compliance with applicable environmental, health, and safety regulations.
In this Functional Safety Engineer, Vehicle Platform role, you will:
- Work closely with OEM and suppliers to define safety concepts for the vehicle platform, and inform architecture and design
- Work closely with engineering teams to perform safety analysis for the integration of Waymo's self driving technologies with OEM vehicle platform
- Participate in design reviews and discussions to help ensure that safety goals and requirements are addressed
- Support the Waymo Safety Team to oversee the program safety readiness process and metrics
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the robustness of Waymo’s safety program
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor of Science in Electromechanical/Electrical/Electronics Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related technical fields
- 3+ years (for a Junior role) or 10+ years (for a Senior role) of relevant engineering work experience that includes Functional Safety engineering
- ISO 26262 Functional Safety professional certification
- Experience in performing hazard analyses (e.g., Hazard and Risk Assessment, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, Failure Modes, Effects, and Diagnostic Analysis, System-theoretic Process Analysis, etc.)
- Hands-on experience in embedded control system development, software development, and/or verification and validation of such systems
- Working level experience about vehicle dynamics and motion control systems
It is preferred that you have experiences in:
- Safety analysis for autonomous vehicles, automotive, or embedded systems
- Automotive electronics / systems / software design and development
- Evaluating and ensuring regulatory compliance
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.