Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Create new requirements for expanding Operational Design Domains in collaboration with software engineers, product managers, safety team, and other stakeholders
- Create clear requirements that effectively drive development and verification
- Work with test engineers to plan, analyze, and evaluate motion control requirements (in-car, in simulation, as software test)
- Perform hazard and risk assessments based on empirical data, simulation, and physics modelling
- Create new frameworks for evaluating and approving autonomous driving motion control software in terms of safety and performance
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Foundation in system engineering fundamentals: requirements definition, system design and architecture, trade studies, verification and validation methods, and simulation
- 3 or more years of experience designing or testing electromechanical systems, particularly automotive
- Ability to read and write code (e.g. C/C++, Python, or MATLAB)
- Experience using statistics and large data sets to make engineering decisions
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field (including systems engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, aerospace, robotics or controls, etc.) or equivalent practical experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- Knowledge of physics (kinematics, dynamics)
- Experience working on autonomous systems (autonomous driving, robotics, etc.)
- Experience working on safety-critical and high-reliability systems
- Knowledge of control systems
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.