Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
The Waymo Policy and Government Affairs team has a front seat in this exciting moment in the evolution of autonomous driving technology, transportation and tech policy. Successful navigation of the policy landscape is critically important to deploying and scaling our business. Our team works directly with policymakers and third party groups at the national, state and local levels to help advance transportation policy, educate on the safety benefits of the technology, and advance consumer awareness and acceptance. Internally, our efforts support the innovative work of engineering, product, strategy, and partnerships teams, and we work closely with highly-skilled legal and safety experts.
In this role, you will:
- Develop and maintain strong bipartisan relationships with Members of Congress and their staff, as well as with federal regulatory officials and other key external stakeholders as needed
- Engage directly with policymakers and industry stakeholders to shape legislative activity relating to self-driving
- Track current and emerging activity within Congress, while helping to develop and execute policy strategies that benefit Waymo’s users and business
- Build and manage relationships with relevant third party groups
- Develop subject matter expertise in key policy areas, as determined
- Report to the Head of Federal Policy and Government Affairs
At a minimum, we would like you to have or be:
- 5+ years of experience working within Congress or in a related government affairs role
- Knowledge about and relationships with key Congressional policymakers
- Skilled at building and maintaining productive bipartisan relationships with policymakers and other stakeholders
- Passionate and knowledgeable about emerging technology and related public policy
- Adaptable team player with the ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing and uncertain environment
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, and exceptional verbal and written communication skills
It is preferred if you have:
- Experience working on technology or transportation policy issues
- Experience working with the Congressional Black, Hispanic, or Asian Pacific American Caucuses
- Experience building relationships and coalitions with third party groups
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.