Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's autonomous driving technology, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this role, you'll:
- Design and create representations for the system and hardware architecture of the Waymo Driver’s autonomous self-driving system (SDS) and it’s integration into a variety of vehicle platforms (including passenger car vehicles, commercial vehicles, etc.)
- Deeply understand the underlying technology solutions and challenges in the autonomous vehicle space to inform the architectural directions you recommend
- Formulate and drive complex tradeoffs across system attributes, including performance, power, mass, cost, schedule, reliability, etc.
- Reconcile and balance product and system-level requirements against core technology pushes to distill an optimal architecture, defining and managing key interfaces among system components and the teams delivering them
- Collaborate broadly and cross-functionally with the wider engineering, product, and operations teams to deliver end-to-end system level solutions based on the architectures you define
- Lead and communicate effectively to make recommendations and drive alignment and execution amongst all stakeholders
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant Engineering or related field (including ME, EE, CS, Robotics, Controls, Aerospace, etc.) or equivalent practical experience; Master’s Degree preferred
- 6+years of engineering experience architecting complex systems in industry; 3+ years in the automotive, automation, autonomous vehicles, or robotics industry preferred
It’s preferred if you have:
- Proven systems-thinking mindset and skills, and system / safety engineering practice; understanding of ISO26262, IEC 61508, and/or other related standards and their applicability to autonomous vehicles preferred
- Broad knowledge of engineering fundamentals ranging from atoms to bits, including ability to read and comprehend code (C++, Python, Matlab, etc.) desired; familiarity with model-based methods and tools (such as SysML) preferred
- Demonstrated technical leadership and track record of taking complex systems from research stage through full product development life cycle to launch and deployment
- Strong communication skills and leadership abilities to work with both internal and cross-functional engineering teams to align and drive towards optimal decisions for the product and technology
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.