Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's autonomous driving technology, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this role, you'll:
- Be responsible for mechanical, electrical, and software integration and bringup of novel autonomous vehicle systems
- Handle Integration and debugging issues with autonomous systems and base chassis components on passenger cars and/or class 8 vehicles. Work will include some ME, some EE, and some code level debugging
- Advise on requirements and interface definitions between subsystems and components, and gathering of key pieces of data or knowledge through design and execution of tests, experiments, and workstreams
- Specify and develop tools for diagnosing complex sensing and compute systems efficiently
- In general -- getting stuff done!
At a minimum, we'd like you to have:
- BS or in EE/ME/CE/CSE or related field, or sufficient practical work experience
- Experience working directly with deployed systems (HW and SW), ideally in fast-paced or tech environments
- Wide breadth of knowledge in the EE/CE/CS/Mech realm, and can spin up on a new topic very quickly
- Very strong hands-on experience assembling, working with, and debugging complex hardware and software systems
- Ability to interact with both technical and nontechnical teams to solve technical problems
- High level understanding of various systems needed to make a self driving vehicle (sensors, compute, wiring, power, vehicle actuators, chassis communication, controls, etc.)
It's preferred if you have:
- Experience with project-managing functional goals of large systems to completion across many teams in an integrated system
- Ability to define, implement, and run processes that connect engineering and technician teams across disciplines to meet a common goal bringing up and deploying systems
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.