Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo's Operations team keeps the business rolling to deliver the Waymo Driver to the world. We enable our fully autonomous ride-hailing service to run safely and reliably, support testing efforts of our trucking and local delivery efforts, and bring our expertise to guide business decisions. We are the heart of Waymo -- and we execute with purpose and urgency to achieve our goals.
In this role, you’ll:
- Manage driving operations efficiently across all Arizona facilities to deliver against testing and commercial requirements (miles driven, vehicle utilization)
- Lead, manage and develop a large team.
- Coordinate with vendor partners to meet needs
- Ensure effective deployment of company processes and policies to achieve safe and efficient operations
- Develop plan to strategically scale operations within Phoenix market (vehicles, labour) accounting for supply/demand while balancing requirements for new AV technology deployment
- Be the enabler for hiring the best talent, growing/retaining them in the organization
- Work with other operational leads to influence and continually improve operational processes for greater efficiency and effectiveness
- Be the onsite leader for all cross-functional teams working within Phoenix facilities (e.g. fleet maintenance, facilities, community outreach, user experience)
- Ensure timely information cascade to the team and act as the primary information source for the team, maintaining compliance, consistency, and taking corrective action when needed
- Serve as main leadership point of contact for all local Phoenix Market engagements understanding and representing local employees when there are visiting business partners, executives or members of press
- Champion in-market initiatives including growth of commercial service
- Communicate with cross-functional partners, organizing and prioritizing special test requests and events
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Strong people management experience across a large organization with multiple levels of employees and skill sets. Experience working with hourly employees, temps and vendors.
- 10 years+ experience working in, owning or partnering with day-to-day business operations
- Experience in transportation industry, fleet management, logistics or similar field
- Outstanding track record in planning and managing at both the strategic and operational level
- Organized, detail-oriented, strategically focused and ability to multitask in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment
- Must be adaptable to a changing environment and able to consistently achieve goals despite stress and ambiguity
- Ability to communicate effectively with multiple levels including executive leadership team peers, managers and staff
- Ability to lead large teams directly and influence cross functional teams
- BA in Business, Engineering or similar field (connected to Operations and/or Supply Chain)
- Ability to dive deep into data and provide thought-provoking, workable business solutions
It’s preferred if you have:
- MBA with focus in Operations Management.
- Experience in AV industry or fleet management
- Continuous Improvement Training and/or certification (Lean; Six Sigma, etc)
- Experience operating in a matrix organization
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.