Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
As its name suggests, our Engineering Operations team plays a vital role in the creation and development of Waymo's autonomous driving technology. Software Quality, Labeling and Mapping Operations are all part of this team: we review critical events, flag problematic cases, build sets of labeled data for machine learning, and make sure our high-definition maps are extraordinarily accurate.
In this role, you'll:
- Guide the Eng Ops organization’s success through development of key metrics and insights, including productivity and quality measures
- Cultivate a strong team culture, in particular through hiring, developing, and retaining the talent needed to fill gaps and bolster output
- Ensure the Eng Ops organization has accurate and actionable reporting & forecasts, presenting these to C-level executives on a regular basis
- Provide strong and scaled analytical support for each of the sub-organizations in Eng Ops through the development of dashboards, plus appropriate support for ad hoc requests
- Build strong cross-functional relationships across Waymo, and work with them and the head of the Eng Ops to define team strategy and priority areas
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- Excellent analytical skills, with demonstrated ability to dive deep technically, including proficiency in SQL
- 3+ years of people management experience, serving as a thought leader and mentoring/developing junior team members
- Structured thinking to easily break down complex ambiguous problems and propose alternative solutions
- Experience with building statistical models in Python or R
- Excellent communication and presentation skills - can explain complicated topics and ideas in a clear and concise manner
It’s preferred if you have:
- MS or PhD in Statistics, Computer Science, Physics, Economics, or similar quantitative field
- Strong relationship building skills and ability to work with very different teams, at the intersection of engineering and operations in a fast-moving startup environment
- Strong strategy development skills, with the ability to independently take complex, ambiguous subjects, craft a plan to evaluate challenges and opportunities, develop sound and robust proposals, and guide organizations to execute against them
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.