Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's autonomous driving technology, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this role, you'll:
- Work cross-functionally with groups within (vehicle, autonomous driving component design and validation teams) and outside of the organization (Software, Operations, System Engineering, etc.) to plan and execute on critical programs
- Develop program schedules within the established parameters of the budget, and meeting or exceeding all requirements and drive execution based on high level requirements and by building consensus across teams
- Quickly acquire deep technical knowledge of autonomous driving components and the integrated system as a whole to help inform priorities in planning, and drive progresses with the teams effectively. Deep-dive into problem solving with the relevant teams as needed
- Manage a full system architecture lifecycle of a new generation of hardware - from concept gathering to launch for production
- Ensure alignment amongst requirements, design, validation, and other relevant teams around scope/budget/timing. Identify gaps across the organization, and arrange for the resources needed to achieve successful delivery. Relentlessly pursue disconnects and resolve them to the benefit of the greater good for the program
At the minimum, we'd like you to have:
- A BS or MS degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or a similar discipline
- 5 + years practical hardware engineering experience (electrical and mechanical)
- Comprehensive understanding of launch process and critical path management
- Demonstrated strong analytical, oral, and written communication skills
- The ability to effectively influence and communicate cross-functionally and within a matrix organization
- Strong technical abilities - able to work closely/credibly with highly technical teams
It's preferred if you have:
- 6+ years in the product development process, understanding and execution from prototype to production (Design, Build, Validate, Production)
- Experience in system or vehicle integration preferred
- Experience in robotics or autonomous driving vehicles preferred
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.