Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
The Waymo Safety team works to promote and help to continuously improve the safety of Waymo’s fully autonomous driving technology. Our experts develop safety goals and strategies, and conduct safety engineering analyses to ensure safety is being considered throughout the design and development of our vehicles. The team develops and promotes safety strategies and policies for autonomous vehicles for its work with regulatory authorities, lawmakers, law enforcement and public and non-profit organizations. Our Safety Team also helps advise on compliance with applicable environmental, health, and safety regulations.
In this Field Safety Engineering role, you'll:
- Lead investigations into employee safety concerns and other potential issues that could pose risks to the safety of Waymo vehicles currently operating in the field, and work with other Waymo teams to develop solutions when needed
- Analyze data from Waymo vehicles to identify and assess trends
- Work with Legal and other Waymo teams to respond to governmental investigations and legal claims
- Help promote a positive safety culture throughout the organization
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical degree and 5+ years work experience
- Hands-on experience with field safety in the form of accident reconstruction, failure analysis, and/or automotive defect investigation
- Analytical proficiency demonstrated through experience performing quantitative risk assessment, reliability analysis, and/or statistical data analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Self motivated and ability to network internally
It’s preferred if you have:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in engineering or a related technical field
- Software familiarity in autonomy or machine learning
- Familiarity with product liability principles
- Experience in evaluating and ensuring regulatory compliance and/or interacting with regulators
- Experience with highly automated vehicles
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.