Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo's Perception team is tasked with building and advancing the software system that allows the Waymo Driver to perceive the world around it, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We are looking for a strong TLM to lead a team of engineers and researchers working on some of the most fundamental Computer Vision problems in autonomous driving. Tasks: 3D object detection, semantic/panoptic segmentation, motion estimation. Techniques: temporal modeling, sensor fusion across LiDAR/camera/radar, semi/self-supervised learning, data augmentation, knowledge distillation, multi-task learning.
In this leadership role, you'll:
- Own the team's technical roadmap and work with production teams and leadership to define and execute against Waymo's ambitious goals.
- Lead a team of computer vision researchers and engineers to solve some of the core perception problems in autonomous driving.
- Initiate and foster close collaborations with researchers across Waymo and Alphabet to build state-of-the-art ML models to Waymo perception.
- Have a clear and direct impact on production, as part of the Perception team that deploys and owns the ML models powering the large fleet of Waymo vehicles.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- MS or PhD in computer vision, machine learning, or related field
- Experience as an engineering manager, preferably in computer vision and/or machine learning.
- Experience managing and launching projects.
- Experience driving cross-team collaborations, especially between research and production teams.
- Passionate about advancing perception for autonomous driving.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.