Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
The Waymo Safety team works to promote and help to continuously improve the safety of Waymo’s fully autonomous driving technology. Our experts develop safety goals and strategies, and conduct safety engineering analyses to ensure safety is being considered throughout the design and development of our vehicles. The team develops and promotes safety strategies and policies for autonomous vehicles for its work with regulatory authorities, lawmakers, law enforcement and public and non-profit organizations. Our Safety Team also helps advise on compliance with applicable environmental, health, and safety regulations.
In this Field Safety Engineer/Scientist, Human-Machine Interaction role, you'll:
- Analyze safety-related issues that involve interactions between the Waymo AV and humans. Such interactions include those between the Waymo AV and riders of Waymo’s fully autonomous ride hailing service and, during test operations, interactions between the Waymo AV and the autonomous test specialist
- Work closely with Waymo’s Operations Team, including autonomous test specialists, to identify potential safety-related issues involving human-machine interactions and work cross-functionally to analyze these issues and design and implement enhancements to Waymo’s product or operations
- Analyze data to identify and assess potential safety-related issues
- Help promote a positive safety culture throughout the organization
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor of Science in Human Factors, Psychology, Cognitive Science, or a related degree and 5+ years work experience
- Practical experience with human-machine interaction in a safety-relevant application
- Analytical proficiency demonstrated through experience performing quantitative risk assessment, reliability analysis, and/or statistical data analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Self-motivated and ability to network internally
It’s preferred if you have:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Human Factors, Psychology, Cognitive Science, or a related degree
- Safety-related experience working with vehicle operators
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.