Technical Lead Manager, Behavior Prediction, Deep Learning
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo's fully autonomous driving technology. Our software allows the Waymo Driver to perceive the world around it, making the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers. We are looking for leaders who can organize and lead a diverse group of software engineers to solve challenging technical problems.
In this role, you will:
- Lead a team of software engineers working on cutting edge applied machine learning techniques to solve complex problems that arise when trying to predict the behavior of vehicles and pedestrians on the road.
- Attract, grow, and retain a diversity of talent, providing technical direction and career growth opportunities
- Inspire and motivate the team to work together as a cohesive and productive unit
- Guide all technical aspects of development, including technical requirements definition, design, implementation, unit testing, and integration
- Work closely with engineering partners and stakeholders to drive organizational alignment
- PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Robotics, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in data science including data collection, analysis, hypothesis formulation and verification
- Experience in applied Machine Learning including feature engineering, model deployment, A/B testing
- Experience in Deep Learning research and tools such as TensorFlow or Pytorch
- Software design and development experience in Python and C++
- Experience managing projects spanning across multiple teams
- Experience in leading teams and setting technical direction
- Experience in building diverse, inclusive and collaborative team culture
- Solid written and verbal communications
- History and passion for creating inclusive and respectful work environments
- Experience in the Self Driving Car industry
- 2+ years of experience as an engineering manager
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)