Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's autonomous driving technology, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this role, you'll:
- Develop, implement and optimize image enhancing algorithms using computational imaging as well as ML techniques targeting end to end Perception systems for autonomous automotive applications
- Develop, integrate and validate bit accurate image processing code optimized for specialized hardware implementation
- Optimize image processing system performance using ISP/GPU devices for implementing an end to end image processing pipeline
- Work closely with system and perception engineers to refactor image processing code and refine algorithms for optimal system performance
- Work on ISP feature specifications, silicon bring-up and validation, API development, and tools creation
- Support products from the early development and prototyping phases through to mass production
At the minimum, we'd like you to have:
- Proven experience in developing advanced image processing algorithms using computational imaging as well as well as machine learning via a hybrid architecture including spatial, temporal, and frequency domains
- Solid understanding of state of the art image processing techniques used for de-noising, image reconstruction, feature enhancement, feature extraction, image segmentation, color correction, and compression
- Advance knowledge of machine learning techniques, deep learning and ML applications related to image enhancement
- Programming languages, such as C and/or C++
- Image analysis and visualization with tools such as Python and/or Matlab
- PhD or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics, or equivalent degree with specialization in image processing
- 5 years or more of relevant experience in the industry or academic research
It's preferred if you have:
- Hands on experience developing and deploying image processing code on hardware ISP deployed on mobile devices, consumer or industrial cameras
- Expertise in GPU programming using CUDA, OpenCL
- General knowledge of image capture using cameras and camera systems as well as optics, CMOS imagers, and image quality metrics
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.