Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
As part of Waymo's Legal team, you will work on the exciting legal issues surrounding our transformational autonomous driving technology and help drive our business lines forward from technology ideation through scaled commercial deployment. We partner with our public policy, safety, security and privacy experts to define transportation policy for the autonomous driving world to come, advising on regulatory changes that support and protect our users around the world. We collaborate with our engineering, product, strategy and operations teams to develop and protect our intellectual property portfolio and drive our corporate and commercial transactions. We ensure compliance with an increasingly complex and dynamic range of global regulations. And we anticipate, mitigate, and litigate high-profile and precedent-setting legal matters.
In this role, you’ll:
- Support Waymo’s regulatory team in interpreting regulations applicable to our current and future products, business, and operations, including conducting legal research and analysis for cutting-edge legal issues that are often novel or applicable to nascent regulatory environments in the U.S. and abroad
- Support Waymo’s compliance with regulatory requirements and permission to operate in various federal, state, and local jurisdictions
- Advise client partners across Waymo and colleagues on the Legal Team on regulatory requirements, risks, and solutions as Waymo products and operations scale, communicating clearly and succinctly about complex legal matters
- Collaborate with other legal subject matter experts on the team, outside counsel, and Waymo’s regulatory compliance team to provide the right advice and regulatory support at the right time as the company continues to introduce the Waymo Driver to the world
- Be solutions-oriented and think creatively to understand, analyze, address, and resolve novel legal and regulatory issues raised by autonomous vehicle technology
- Effectively triage legal questions, concerns, and issues raised by colleagues on the Legal Team and clients throughout Waymo and appropriately prioritize, escalate, and work successfully across teams
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- JD degree or equivalent with a strong academic record; Active and in good standing in one State Bar in the United States
- 3-5+ years of relevant law firm, government, and/or in-house experience
- 2+ years of experience advising on regulatory requirements, compliance, and/or programs, and/or working with government agencies or regulators
- Excellent analytical, communication and organizational skills, and demonstrated ability to effectively manage simultaneous priorities to achieve great outcomes for the team
- Experience working on cross-functional, collaborative teams focused on solutions, growth, and enabling a business
- Eagerness to work in a startup environment and flexibly roll up your sleeves as an individual contributor to help drive our fast-paced and dynamic business within a rapidly developing and emerging industry
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience in automotive, trucking, safety-sensitive, or other regulated industry, and interest in diving deeper into complex, multi-jurisdictional regulatory issues
- Experience in autonomous vehicle, ride-hailing, trucking fleets, or safety-critical technologies or industry
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.