Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain exceptional teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you will:
- Develop test programs to ensure functional, performance, and safety requirements of our autonomous driving system are met
- Systematically create simulation-based test plans that capture the range of situations and salient variables influencing the car’s behavior
- Support Waymo’s software developers and key stakeholders by analyzing, interpreting and reporting on test results and field data
- Create and maintain dashboards that allow others to understand test performance. Prepare well-written and informative test reports to drive software prioritization and highlight areas of strength and weakness
- Help develop new testing methodologies that improve Waymo’s ability to derive more signal from fewer driven miles. Maintain focus on automation and scalability.
- Communicate where better testing can help the team move faster and more confidently.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 5+ years of Engineering experience
- BS degree in a technical field, such as Engineering, Computer Science, Data Science, Robotics, Math, Physics, or similar related field or or equivalent practical experience
- Experience defining test programs
- Intuition for nuances of autonomous driving requirements, algorithms and operating environments
- Physics and engineering fundamentals
- Organization, communication, and documentation skills
It’s preferred if you have:
- Data analysis skills (e.g. using Python, SQL, R, MATLAB, etc. ) including using large datasets.
- Prior experience as a Test/Validation/Application Engineer or Systems Engineer, especially for complex systems
- Passion for robotics, autonomous vehicles, and/or building great test programs
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.