Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you’ll:
- Lead the sign-off of autonomous driving vehicle lidars and the perception algorithms that use them
- Use sensing physics and an understanding of fault protection and systems engineering principles to propose lidar and/or perception requirements
- Drive consensus on those requirements within the hardware and software teams
- Develop verification and validation plans
- Design, debug, and execute tests to verify requirements, expose issues, and identify root causes
- Analyze test data and communicate the results in technical reports and presentations
- Write reusable, high quality, data analysis and test automation software (C++ and/or Python)
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- A bachelor’s degree in physics, engineering, or other technical field OR equivalent practical experience
- An advanced degree OR 5 years of equivalent practical experience
- Familiarity with robotics, sensing, optics, or perception technologies
- Experience with system engineering fundamentals: requirements definition, system design and architecture, trade studies, and verification and validation methods
- Experience analyzing data using Python or other high level language (e.g. Matlab, SQL, R, C++)
- Experience managing projects with multiple contributors and stakeholders
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.