Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role you will:
- Lead the qualification of perception algorithms to build sufficient perception test coverage to qualify driverless software release
- Use your knowledge of perception systems combined with Waymo’s safety and business targets to propose perception requirements
- Drive consensus on those requirements within the software and hardware teams
- Develop evaluation tools based on simulation and software-based data analysis
- Use these and existing tools to design, debug, and execute tests
- Analyze test data, communicate the results in technical reports and presentations
- Write reusable, high quality, data analysis software
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- An advanced degree in Computer Science, Robotics, or other relevant technical field OR equivalent practical experience involving perception systems
- Experience with perception systems for robotics or autonomy, including work with lidar, camera, and/or radar sensor data
- Experience with Systems Engineering fundamentals, including requirements definition and verification and validation techniques.
- Experience in software engineering for simulation and data evaluation, using Python or other high level language (e.g. Matlab, SQL, R, C++)
- Experience managing projects with multiple contributors and stakeholders
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.