Mountain View, California, United States
New York, New York, United States
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo's fully autonomous driving technology. Our software allows the Waymo Driver to perceive the world around it, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers.
Waymo is looking for talented software engineers to help build motion planning for our autonomous vehicles. You'll be working with a creative team of people who are responsible for ensuring that the behavior of our vehicles is safe, smooth, and predictable to other road users. We are solving one of the hardest problems at Waymo - computing the final trajectory of the car based on all the signals up the stack. We need engineers who are strong coders, but who also like/know C++, Machine Learning, math, optimization, graph search, and algorithms.
- Build safe and robust solutions to cutting-edge driving problems creatively and collaboratively
- Improve how the vehicle acts and reacts in complex and nuanced situations
- Grow a fundamental understanding of the next driving challenges by analyzing real-world logs collected on our state-of-the-art fleet
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- M.S. or PhD. degree in Computer Science, ML, Robotics, or in a similar technical field of study, or a B.Sc. degree with at least 3 years of working experience in one of these fields
- Experience in at least one of: Decision making, motion planning, controls (eg: trajectory optimization, planning under uncertainty, probabilistic robotics, optimal control, guidance and navigation, etc.), data analysis at scale, machine learning at scale, building ML pipelines, or designing high quality data workflows
- Experience in data structures and advanced algorithms
- Experience in programming in C++
It’s preferred that you have experience in:
- Writing software to solve complex mathematical problems
- Machine Learning
- Writing robust, safety-critical, efficient code
- Evaluation systems
- Distributed Systems
- Google Infrastructure
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.