Technical Lead Manager, Trucking - Behavior & Planner
Mountain View, California, United States
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
In this role, you'll be working with a small but rapidly growing team, benefitting from shared technology of the greater Waymo and Alphabet organizations. Our team is made up of robotics specialists and generalists from some of the leading technology companies of our time - with deep expertise in artificial intelligence, machine learning, and real-world deployment of advanced technology.
"Reasoning" focuses on taking information about the world (e.g. perception and predictions of the behaviors of other agents) and translating it into costs and constraints that our motion planning algorithms can solve. This requires a nuanced understanding of the problem space as well as the general properties of the motion planning algorithms involved, both of which can be learned on the job (prior experience helps but we have had several success cases with alphabet transfers outside of the industry).
In this leadership role, you’ll:
- Lead a team of software engineers that builds self driving capabilities for the most challenging situations a truck might encounter, for example, navigating active freeway construction sites
- Guide all technical aspects of development, including technical requirements definition, design, implementation, system testing (in simulation and real world), and integration
- Act as a sounding board and technical architect for your teams, help define technical vision and strategy
- Work closely with engineering partners and stakeholders to drive organizational alignment
- Recruit, hire, and grow a small, focused team (with opportunity to grow deeper technically or broader with a larger team)
- Work cross-functionally across Waymo’s Planning, Perception, Research and Simulation teams to drive new features to completion
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Must have a BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Robotics or similar technical field of study
- Experience leading engineering projects across multiple teams
- Experience building and architecting large-scale, production quality systems from ideation through launch
- Experience evaluating complex changes and leading improvements, including building metrics
- At least practitioner-level understanding of ML systems (training, evaluation, data needs, etc)
- Strong written and verbal communications
- Experience in C++ and Python
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience in the Self Driving Car industry or Robotics, especially in the areas of motion planning, or behavior prediction
- Management experience (can be pre-alphabet)
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.